Thursday 2 August 2012

Fizzbox intro

Last Summer I started to learn programming for the first time. I used python to do numerical simulations of physicsy things - simple harmonic motion, planets moving under gravity, that sort of thing. To turn numbers into interactive, visual simulations I used a set of modules called pygame. I had the idea of setting up a site with a series of interactive simulations to share online. I didn't get very far.

The only simulation to make it online was a gravity simulator. Very simple stuff - click the screen to create a planet (boring dot) with a fixed mass. Two or more planets will interact under gravity. It wasn't very impressive. The main problem was that the planets started with no speed, so it was tough to set up interesting orbits.

You'd need to download a huge zipped folder and extract it just to run the simple program, which ran annoyingly slowly.

Starting this Summer I'm going to start the Fizzbox program again from scratch on here. I'll put on all the bits as I make them before stringing them all together on a new site, which I ambitiously hope could be used in school physics lessons.

There'll be more posts to follow explaining how the new programming will work, and what Fizzbox will hopefully eventually look like. Subscribe to see the fizzbox project unfold from the beginning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Second year physics student at the University of Manchester, interested in simulation and education.